I was really excited about the NSNG diet. I wanted to be good at it, and I really started to research the benefits. Then I discovered something. NSNG doesn’t want you to eat many fruits
because of their “sugars” thing so I was moving toward a heavy-veggie diet. But guess what!? Many veggies are in direct conflict with my hypothyroid disorder (just found this out, totally true)*. Apparently broccoli and corn are two really bad things to eat in excess if you have a slow thyroid – and can worsen your issue. These are two of my faves! So I started reading up on Thyroid-health foods and discovered that I can’t do the NSNG diet while still trying to fix my thyroid issue. And if I end up with Hashimotos then my thyroid really must be priority one before my weight. SHIT!!!!!!!!!!
*See other thyroid-conflicting foods below.
So there goes that. Now, my next plan? to extremely careful what I eat and just try to eat as healthy as I can. I am still staying away from processed foods – with careful attention to ingredients and nutrition facts when not banning them all together. And I am still going to stay away from sugars as much as possible including most carbs when avoidable.
In trying the NSNG diet, and key word is totally “trying” here; I actually gained weight. I gained 6 pounds over about 6 weeks doing NSNG. I fear that that diet is going in a bad direction, anyway, so I am not completely saddened by my revelation. I’d rather lose weight on my diet than gain. Duh.
I guess my next step will be to write my OWN diet. I will have to find out what foods have bad stuff for my thyroid, what foods are good for my cholesterol, what combination could actually help my metabolism, consider what has good vs bad calories, what has added sugars and preservatives when unnecessary, and pick and choose from there. This doesn’t sound fun.
Foods to avoid with Hypothyroidism:
icon-star This list seems like a pretty decent diet, as well.
- Cruciferous Vegetables
- Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, turnips, and bok choy
- Fatty Foods
- butter, mayonnaise, margarine, and fatty cuts of meat.
- Mustard Seeds
- So,.. no mayo or mustard? Dude…
- Fatty Meats
- Organ Meats
- Sugary Foods
- Processed Foods
- Excess Fiber
- Limit your fiber to 30g/day of: whole grains, vegetables, fruits, beans, and legumes
- Don’t freak out just yet. You only have to wait 30 mins to drink coffee after taking your pill – as you already have to wait to eat.
- Alcohol has a toxic affect on the thyroid and should be avoided if you have thyroid issue.
Good foods for your thyroid:
- Iodized Salt
- Spinach, lettuce, and other leafy greens
- Seafood (except Kelp)
- Dairy! Vitamin D is very important!
- Vitamin D deficiency is directly linked to Hashimotos
The following foods aren’t verified yet but came up on a few lists online:
- Apples (daily fruit is a must)
- Green Tea
- Olive Oil
- Full-Fat Milk
- Dark Chocolate